AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Kuroko's Basketball - First Thoughts PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Meanderings
Sunday, 08 April 2012 21:03
While recruiting for the basketball club, the Seirin Private High school has managed to pick up some impressive players, including Taiga Kagami, a power house of a boy who's just back from America; amd Tetsuya Kuroko - a member of the “Generation of Miracles”, a team produced by Teiko Middle School that contained severl exceptional players. It soon becomes clear, though, that Kuroko has very little basketball talent in him - except for one unique attribute that could come in very useful...

Okay, I have to admit that I wasn't looking forward to this one - the promo blurb that Crunchyroll had posted (referring to a guy that's only good at basketball because no-one can see him on the court) sounds epically stupid, and I'm not much of a fan of sports anime anyway. That said, I did spend some time as a basketball fan (think back to when Magic Johnson was still at Orlando Magic), and so far at least the show's depiction of the game at least seems fairly realistic. That works in its favour. On the other hand, a lead character who has levels of "presence" waaaay below even Akarin (or YuruYuri fame) is... daft. Sorry. We're supposed to buy that Kuroko's a valuable player for the sole reason that no-one (even his team-mates, most of the time) will simply ever notice him - which is a "talent" you could believe would work in a crowd, but not on a 10-player basketball court.

THE GOOD: It's not quite what I was expecting - some enjoyment to be had from the game, which so far is being portrayed reasonably realistically.

THE BAD: Taiga in particular is an arrogant bastard, Riko's ability to size up her players is overplayed, and don't get me started on Kuroko's lack of "presence".

Can't say I'm hugely impressed, but I'm not put off so far as to drop it. Yet. We'll see how it goes.

Kuroko's Basketball is simulcast by Crunchyroll.

blog comments powered by Disqus