AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Tari Tari - First Thoughts PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Meanderings
Tuesday, 11 September 2012 11:07
Konatsu Miyamoto is in her senior year and she desperately wants to sing in the upcoming joint recital, but the vice-principal has barred her doing so. To get back on stage, she will have to take a different approach - by starting a 'rival' choir club of her own. Which means, of course, that she's got to recruit a few suckers volunteers to join her...

Tari Tari is animated by PA Works, so there's a plus point for me before we even start - their shows usually look gorgeous, and so far this one's living up to their high standards. With character designs taking a clear lead from Hanasaku Iroha, there's eyecandy as well. But nice visuals aren't much cop without a story, so what do we have here? A fairly unassuming tail of a high-school girl who wants to live her dream, but who's being blocked by a crotchety teacher who's holding a grudge, that's what. Not the most original / inspiring subject matter, perhaps (part of me can't get rid of the idea that, once Konatsu gets her rival choir up-and-running, they'll turn into the keion-bu and drink tea all day), but the characters have enough interest about them to pique the curiosity - Konatsu, Sawa and Wakana are different enough in personality (flighty, sensible and overly-serious, respectively) that it'll be curious to see how they play off against each other.

THE GOOD: Liking the characters, and PA Works are always good at making shows that are visually impressive.

THE BAD: Not really sure where it's going (like most shows I watch, I've deliberately avoided doing any reading about it beforehand), or if it's going to take the humorous approach or play it straight. I'll be a lot happier if the humour is played up.

I've been told by multiple people that Tari Tari is the best show of the Summer season - that's the main reason I've started on it. I'm not seeing that yet, but we're only one episode in and the show is clearly still in setup territory - and seemingly determined to take its time about it and do it right. Hopefully it won't take too long to get into its stride.

blog comments powered by Disqus