AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Chuunibyo Demo Koi Ga Shitai (Regardless of my Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date!) - First Thoughts PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Meanderings
Wednesday, 17 October 2012 20:38
Transitioning from boyhood into adolescence is never easy, but for Yuta it's also embarrassing - so embarrassing that he switches schools so no one will recognize him. Just as he gets a glimpse of the normalcy he so desires, in walks Rikka Takanashi claiming to share a karmic connection with him and who knows all about his boyhood days as the "Dark Flame Master"...

I'll go with Chuu2Koi as the accepted short form of this one, I think. This is the latest from the masters of moe, Kyoto Animation, and assuming the opening credits don't give you a seizure, there are a few other snippets in there that tell you that this will rate highly on the HNNNNGGGG scale. I'll probably be told there aren't enough NNN and GGG in there. Yuta used to believe the world around him was more fantasy RPG than real; but just as he's getting over that, along comes Rikka, who's still very much in that phase. And I have to say, her antics are mostly adorable - she's cute, she's funny, and she gives Yuta more than enough opportunities to play the straight man. I smiled. A lot.

And, lest you become tired of Rikka's antics, there are plenty of other characters to play with, too, from Yuta's otherwise-all-female family, Rikka's evil-incarnate sister Tooka (love her blackmail, that one), and classmates Shinka - the beautiful class rep - and Kumin, who seems to like the chaos she's found when hanging out with Yuta and Rikka. There's not much story, just a slice-of-life story about an insecure boy and his strange friends - but it works surprisingly well. I blitzed through the opening two episodes in what seemed like no time at all, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to seeing more.

THE GOOD: KyoAni production values; off the cuteness scale; some good gags that don't (usually) get stretched out too far and a decent cast. Even if Shinka's a ringer for Mikuru.

THE BAD: I did maybe roll eyes at Rikka once or twice, when she got a little too carried away with the fantasy world. Could be a bad sign if they continue to play that aspect as heavily as they do here.

Still, a damned good start. Wasn't too sure what to expect from this one going into is, but pleasantly surprised at what I got.

Chuu2koi is streamed by Anime Network (North America) and Anime On Demand (UK and Ireland).

blog comments powered by Disqus