AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Say 'I Love You' (Sukitte Ii na yo) - First Thoughts PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Meanderings
Saturday, 03 November 2012 22:18
Tachibana Mei does everything alone, and her peers torment her every day - something that's been going on for years now, for no reason that Mei can discern. It's given her a deep mistrust of "friends", as forming friendships only seems to lead to disappointment and pain later. Her tormentors' latest line of attack is to keep reminding her how long she seems to have been single for - but one day, Mei's roundhouse kick accidentally hits the innocent Kurosawa Yamato, the most popular boy in school.

Wasn't certain about this one when I started - it had the feel that there was going to be a lot of angst to it, and with a lot of good, upbeat shoujo around this season, I was almost looking for reasons to drop it. My queue this season is a long one. I didn't find anything, though, primarily as I can see things in the personalities of both Mei and Yamato that I can relate to. Which isn't to say I like them - Mei's trust issues are perhaps a little overblown, while Yamato comes across with all the false sincerity that only those who know they're popular can get away with - but their interactions over the opening two episodes were entertaining and believable, while the supporting cast (mostly Nakanishi and Asami) provide the necessary light relief. It's a good combination, and certainly worked for me.

THE GOOD: Believable characters in believable situations, without making the mistake of overplaying the drama too much.

THE BAD: Yamato in particular is someone I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him - which makes the way the trust-wary Mei does trust him a little bit of a stretch. And both leads have some pretty major character flaws.

Nothing here, though, that would make me drop it - which is a pleasant surprise, and makes Say I Love You another welcome addition to a surprisingly shoujo-heavy season. And that's not a complaint...

Say 'I Love You' is streamed by Crunchyroll.

blog comments powered by Disqus