AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka-okan" (My Little Sister is an Osaka Momma) - First Thoughts PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Meanderings
Sunday, 23 December 2012 00:10
Of all the residents of Osaka who lead interesting lives just by living normally, by far the most interesting of them all is the "Osaka Momma." A little sister with this sort of "Osaka Momma" personality has just moved to Tokyo to live with her brother after living apart for ten years!

It may involve a little sister, but at least it's not a 'brocon imouto' show. I could go without any of them for a while quite happily. Osaka-okan is another 'short', though - 5 minutes per episode, which this time out explores the linguistic differences between Osaka and Tokyo dialects. Which probably makes a lot more sense if you're actually from Japan and immersed in these things anyway.

Take one dose of cultural confusion, then, and mix it with a bad case of cheap-looking animation, and this one didn't grab me. The idea is going to be a hard sell to western folks, I suspect.

THE GOOD: It's a show involving a little sister that - so far at least - doesn't have her wanting to get her brother into her pants. That's quite rare these days. The culture-clash idea is actually a good one...

THE BAD: ...but one that really needs you to be immersed in one side of the clash to really appreciate. Also, looks cheap.

An interesting few minutes spent, then, but not a show I'll be following.

Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka-okan" is streamed by Crunchyroll.

blog comments powered by Disqus