AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Senyu - First Thoughts PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Meanderings
Tuesday, 08 January 2013 23:21
Long ago, there lived an evil being who reigned over the world through fear, called Satan Rchimedes. He invaded the human world with his many demon underlings, spreading madness and chaos everywhere. One thousand years ago, this menace was sealed by the hero Creation, and peace returned to the world. But now he's back, and so the chosen descendant of Creation must repeat their forebear's heroic deeds - if anyone can find him amongst the 75 candidates. Enter her #45, Alba, and his Royal Soldier mentor Ros...

I think this season takes the biscuit for most short shows in a season. At 4:30, Senyu is probably the longest of them - which gives it a decent shot at taking its one gag for the episode (Ros casting aspersions about Alba's romantic feelings for the slime he just killed - "Slime-tan is mai waifu!") and running it well and truly into the ground. A chance it couldn't possibly pass up.

Alba is pretty much clueless as a hero - plucked from obscuring in case he's the one of the 75 destine for greatness - while Ros clearly isn't taking his role as mentor very seriously. Add in that the world of the series clearly plays as a gameworld (with Ros levelling himself up by bullying Alba - nice guy, he is), and there's plenty of opportunity for humour. The problem is that, for this episode at least, it just didn't tweak my funny bone in any appreciable way.

THE GOOD: Setting has plenty of potential, and Ros is the sort of evil-for-the-fun-of-it character that usually works for me.

THE BAD: The whole is somehow less than the sum of its parts - it's just not working as well as it could / should.

Meh. It's a short, so there's no issue with giving it a few more episodes to find itself, but this is filed with Ai Mai Mi under "on shaky ground".

Senyu is streamed by Crunchyroll.

blog comments powered by Disqus