AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

YUYUSHIKI - First Thoughts PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Meanderings
Thursday, 11 April 2013 20:15
Yuzuko, Yui, and Yukari, three girls who've just started high school, are always together. After school, the three begin searching for a club togehter, and are roped into joining the "Data Processing Club" by the club's staff sponsor. With two computers and a whiteboard between them, the girls turn their attention to searching for random words on HooYa! and then discussing the results...

Another case of cute girls doing nothing - although the character designs could be considered a little 'off', which spoils the 'cute' part a little. This is going to be one of those shows where how much you get out of it will vary from week to week, depending on what subject the girls are 'researching' - this week it was astronomy & related climatic issues (the Maunder Minimum discussed in anime? I approve of this), which happens to be right up my alley, so it worked for me. Other subjects, maybe not so much.

It's not all the girls in their clubroom, either - there was a decent chunk of the episode devoted to giving them a decent introduction, but at the end of the day it was still mostly about nothing.

THE GOOD: Educational anime, arguably. Who'd've thunk it. The lead trio are a fun little grouping, too.

THE BAD: Dunno that I'm up for another anime about nothing, and I suspect a lot of each episode's appeal is going to depend on the Subject of the Week.

Will be keeping this on the radar for now, at least - the "cute girls doing nothing important" idea isn't exactly new (hi there, K-On!, Hidamari Sketch and several others), but done right it can still be entertaining, in a fluffy kind of way.

YUYUSHIKI is streamed by Crunchyroll.

blog comments powered by Disqus