AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

New Season Surprises PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Monday Musings
Monday, 27 June 2011 11:21
The new anime season is just around the corner, and by the looks of my Twitter timeline, the anime world is busy reading up on the new shows that are about to hit the airwaves in Japan. Me, I'm keeping myself thoroughly unspoilt, for as long as possible.

There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the start of a new season means the end of the old one, which in turn means a small torrent of reviews I have to write about the season just gone. These things take time, and I have little enough of that to spare as it is. Take more precious time, just to get a sneak peek of what's coming? No, thanks.

But there's a more important reason: the element of surprise. There are any number of charts and diagrams out there listing the new shows coming, what manga / eroge / whatever they're based on and more. But unless you've got the urge to really dig into any of them, all those charts can do is give you a very outline view of what a show will be about - that's no replacement for actually watching the show, and worse, at times those descriptions can be downright misleading. Case in point: Astarotte's Toy. I was spoilt to some of the background information on this one last season (the whole 10-year-old succubus plus sucking off thing), and with that in the back of my mind I found I really couldn't enjoy the first episode when it finally aired. I even went off the deep end in my First Thoughts article - thoughts that ultimately proved to be rather unfair to the show, which turned out to be a pretty good examination of "family". Albeit with added occasional creepiness. Beelzebub also seemed doomed to be fed to Dropzilla at first glance, but turned out to be far better than the preliminary information led me to believe.

End result: I don't want a preview chart spoiling my fun for me this season. I'll stick to what I usually do: try a few episodes of everything that I can legally access, see what sticks, and what doesn't. That way, each show gets a chance to stand on its own merits - and maybe surprise me in the process. While I accept that mileage may vary with these things, that's what works far better for me.

blog comments powered by Disqus