AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Savaged by a Wild Dog PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Wednesday, 05 April 2006 17:00
It's not often I get flamed (even mildy), but my write-up on the first episode of Ginga Densetsu Weed seems to have touched a nerve. Let's take a look.

Excuse me but, how can you write that WEED is similar to Wolf's Rain. If you didn't read the description of the anime, it is the follower to the wellknown Ginga Nagareboshi Gin which came out 1986 and became a smash hit all over the world. WEED is about how Gin's son tries to find his legendary father in the mountain of Ou. And to keep you informed more, Gin collected 1500! dogs to kill AkaKabouto. Maybe you should see the first anime before you criticize what the fans has been waiting for since we first heard that it should come a 2nd.
So far, so good. I think there's too much emphasis being placed on the comparison with Wolf's Rain here - that was limited to saying that Wolf's Rain involved searching for paradise while Weed involved defending paradise; I could also mention the way the animals in both series are presented as almost human in desires and actions, although it's done in different ways. It's a point of comparison for the setting, and not for the two series as a whole, which are very different beasts.

Weed leads the troops in defence of his showIs this what happens to reviewers who criticize legendary dogs?

Referring back to Ginga Nagareboshi Gin is a fair point, but bear in mind: how many other people picking up this series or ganking it from BitTorrent will be aware of a mid-80's prequel? Not many - and those people, like me, will be judging the series based on what they see on the screen. It's perfectly valid to form an opinion of a show - critical or otherwise - based on what you see & what you know. After all, anime's a form of entertainment, and if a series doesn't entertain me then I can't really give it a glowing write-up. Fans of a series who have been eagerly awaiting its arrival will obviously have a different opinion, but they're coming at it from a different angle than I am.
Gather Facts before you attack, you'll only get blackmailed like now if you keep that up. You said you only watched like a few minutes? well watch more AFTER you've watched Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and see WHY it was and still is one of the most beloved anime series EVER made WORLDWIDE! I spent almost 1000 swedish krona on the 5 disc anime box and it was worth every penny! THINK before you speak!
Blackmailed? I'm guessing that's a word that's been mangled in translation, but either way my own opinion (key word there) of the series hasn't changed - I make up my own mind on a series regardless of what its legions of fans may think or what hype surrounds it, and it's my own opinions that get put in the write-up. If I choose not to look up a 20-year-old prequel before forming my opinion, that's my decision. Fans are as entitled to their opinion as I am to mine, and people need to remember that an opinion is neither right nor wrong - it's just a person's own thoughts.

In the interests of being balanced, I've updated the original review with some of the background information provided, but at the end of the day Weed is still a series that doesn't appeal to me. Let's just agree to disagree.
blog comments powered by Disqus