AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Reeves for Cowboy Bebop? PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Upcoming Shows
Friday, 19 December 2008 14:28

We mentioned the in-development Cowboy Bebop live-action movie a while back, and after a few months with no news, we learn via the MTV Movies Blog that Keanu Reeves (probably best known for playing Neo in the Matrix trilogy) has expressed an interest in playing the role of Spike after apparently being drawn to the show's ""Western film noir aspect, […] that kind of Old West, bordertown, low-tech science fiction aspect". Reeves is a self-professed anime fan, and along with producer Erwin Stoff has expressed a desire for the movie to remain in keeping with the anime series. He also revealed that the movie's story will be loosely based on the Red Eye story from Episode 1 of the series, but that adapting the show's serial nature to the big screen wasn't the easiest of jobs:

"It's got so much of an origin-story obligation; you've got to get people up to speed, but you don't want to do much of that. There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but we think we can do something good."

I can't quite picture Reeves in the role, myself - he's too clean-cut to be Spike, in my mind - but having him in the movie certainly wouldn't be enough to put me off seeing it. By the sounds of it, though, we're still quite some way from seeing a finished movie.

blog comments powered by Disqus