AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Two Anime Features Submitted for Oscar Nomination PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
News and Events
Tuesday, 11 November 2008 14:02

The 2009 Oscar season is slowly getting underway - while I don't have much (or any) interest in most of the awards on offer, one always does catch my eye: Best Animated Feature. For the 2009 edition, 14 features have been submitted for consideration, two of which are anime: Sony's Sky Crawlers, the latest work from director Mamoru Oshii; and Bandai's Sword of the Stranger, which was produced by Studio Bones. I haven't managed to see either of these yet, so I can't speak for their chances, but I always hold out hope that an anime feature can pick up the top prize - although this year, there's tough competition.

14 submssions means that three titles will be formally nominated - it'll be a while yet before the lucky titles are announced. The other titles up for consideration are: Bolt, Delgo, Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who, Dragon Hunters, Fly Me to the Moon, Igor, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar: Excape 2 Africa, $9.99, Tale of Despereaux, Waltz with Bashir, and Wall-E, which has to be considered the front-runner at this stage on the back of blanket exposure and major critical acclaim.

blog comments powered by Disqus