AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Crunchyroll Breaks Even PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
News and Events
Friday, 27 August 2010 16:51

CrunchyrollThis little snippet first broke on ANNCast, Anime News Network's weekly podcast, a few weeks ago but has now been picked up by the 'mainstream media': the streaming service that we seem to love to hate (or maybe that's 'hate to love') is now breaking even, at a time when most of the rest of the western anime industry would have us believe that the sky is falling. Wired UK takes a look at the development - and some of the reasons behind it - whilst wryly noting that Shinji and co have managed something that certain larger, higher-profile video services (::cough::YouTube::cough::) are still trying o do.

I'll admit that I've always viewed Crunchyroll with a certain amount of disdain - I'm still not comfortable with the way they built their audience on mass piracy before completing their miraculous turnaround into a legit business. That said, they're the best example of an anime streaming service out there, with their simulcasts leading the charge, and for that they've been getting my subscription money for quite a while now. If the money is now rolling in instead of out, it looks like they'll be with us for a while, too.

blog comments powered by Disqus