AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Maria Holic Alive PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Digital
Friday, 12 August 2011 00:00
Maria Holic AliveMariya, Matsurika and Kanako are back for another season of mayhem at Ame-no-Kisaki. And there was much rejoicing.

It's two months since Kanako transferred to Ame-no-Kisaki, but she still hasn't found the perfect girl-on-girl relationship that she'd been hoping for. While running late for class one morning, though, she stumbles upon the mysterious Girls Dormitory #1, in whose grounds grows a tree that, legend has it, holds the keys to true love. Could this be her chance to form her much-dreamed-of harem of female flesh? Or will the small detail that it's on the boundary with the neighbouring boys' school ruin her dreams..?

So goes the first episode, and that naturally sets the tone for the rest of the series. To be honest, this review is going to be a short one - such is that nature of Maria Holic, and its complete lack of anything that could really be called "story", that I could just as easily reference the review of the first season and say "more of the same", and we'd be done.

Wait, I've just done that.

You get the picture. As the old adage goes, if it ain't broke, you don't fix it - the first season of Maria Holic pretty much nailed it for me as far as humour goes, and this season doesn't mess with the formula in any significant way. One small chance is a slightly increased focus on Matsurika, which is no bad thing (one episode even gets retitled Matsurika Holic, which I really think they should spin off), but past that it's as you were: Kanako getting worked up over the other girls, Mariya torturing her at every opportunity, God terrorising her charges in her own innocent way, and plenty of nosebleeds.

Maria Holic, whichever season you're talking about, makes me laugh. A lot. It's over the top, silly, crude in places, and very politically incorrect, all things that I appreciate in a comedy - and unlike quite a few anime comedies these days, it resists the urge to go overboard on the fanservice in the process. Genuine all-round fun, and an easy recommendation.

Rating - ****