AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 1
PoorBest 
Digital
Monday, 31 October 2011 11:51

A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives

Every so often, you get a series where the easiest way to review it would almost be to copy'n'paste the review of the creators' previous work. A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives is one of those shows - and that's never a good thing...

Kurogane Taito is an ordinary high school student who keeps having a dream about a mysterious girl who says that she loves him - just after biting him, injecting him with a 'poison' that will bind him to her forever. One day, he's on his way home from school when he sees a truck barreling down on Andou Mirai, a fellow student at Miyasaka High School. Jumping in to push her out of the way, he finds himself being hit by the truck himself - but surprisingly, that's not the end of his life...

The girl from his dreams is Saitohimea, a vampire / sorceress who fell in love with him, and his 'dream' is actually reality - he just doesn't remember it happening, until events lead to him being reunited with Saitohimea (Himea for short) and everything becomes clear. Yes, she bit him - but he was a willing participant, having strong feelings himself for Himea. Her 'poison' also has the useful side-effect of making him just about immortal - although, as the title suggests, there are limits to that: if he's killed & regenerates more than seven times in a 15-minute period, it's curtains for him.

Along with Himea, Taito has to deal with the affections of classmate & childhood friend Haruka, who would do anything for him; while Student Council leader Kurenai Gekkou and his demonic sidekick Andou Mirai are fully aware of Himea's true nature, and of the trouble that her re-appearance is about to bring to those around her.

Sounds rather Kore wa Zombie desu ka?, then, and on purely first impressions, there's a lot to like about it: varied cast of characters, some very nice visuals and music, and a story that sets out as a promising mix of comedy and gory action. "What's not to like?" is the obvious question, to which there are two answer: first, it's fanservice heavy, but with the "buy the Bluray" censoring turned up rather high - a pet hate of mine. Two, source material comes to you from the same people who were responsible for Legend of the Legendary Heroes. And that's where the ability to copy'n'paste reviews comes in. Here are a few choice passages from that show's review:

There's almost nothing worse than wasted potential, but sadly Legend of the Legendary Heroes has more wasted potential than just about any series I've seen in the past few years. Take interesting characters, an intriguing setting, and a battle for the fate of the world, and you think you'd be on to something - but here's 24 episodes of how not to use them...

I went into Legendary Heroes positively wanting it to succeed - we need a good new fantasy series, and this had the ingredients to be that show. But it's been a battle almost since the start to work up the enthusiasm to watch each new episode, out of fear of just how it was going to disappoint me this time. There are moments where it clicks - usually when someone is having a "moment of awesome", if you like, but they're few and far between and not worth wading through the rest of the dross for.

I could copy more, but you get the picture. If there's an over-arching story here, the series does its best to hide it. Taito creates problems for himself in the way that he simply fails to deal with some of the problems around him (example: Himea and Taito are openly a couple even before the first episode of the series is over - but the series then spends the entire run with Haruka making repeated pitches for Taito, with him refusing to simply say "Sorry, but you know I'm already with Himea". How hard can that be..?). Some characters are outright offputting (Gekkou). Fanservice is over-the-top - even with TV-editing, I could do without having demons burst from between Mirai's legs, thank you. Things just happen, with little rhyme or reason and you're constantly left to wonder why - and very, very rarely are you ever given answers. (Sorry, copy'n'pasting again there...).

Once is unfortunate. Two shows from the same creators with the same basic flaws, no matter how much promise the settings of those shows may have, raises a bloody great red flag. I wanted to like Dark Rabbit, but the flaws were just too many and too obvious to make that possible. Pretty to look at, but that's about it.

Rating - **