AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

SKET Dance (Episodes 52-77) PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Digital
Monday, 21 January 2013 00:00

It may have been as lightweight as hell, but I also can't deny that I was sorry to see it go. Here're some final thoughts on SKET Dance, now that it's shuffled off the simulcast schedules...

As I pointed out last time I covered SKET Dance, this is very much one of those shows where I almost wanted to drop it every week, but found myself watching anyway - it may be random and largely pointless, but it's usually fun, too. Last time around, things were shaken up a bit by the revelation of Bossun's long-lost twin brother; this time, we have the introduction of Saaya Agata, little sister of the Student Council President and a girl who's as tsundere as a tsundere can be.

Works for me. She's a deliberate attempt to play the stereotype for all that it's worth, right down to being voiced by Hana Kanazawa (who, in case you didn't already know, voices all the best tsundere girls) and for the first few episodes after her introduction she dominates the show in a very enjoyable way. This being very much an ensemble show, she then drifts into the background a bit - but there's a running thread right up to the end of the series that deals with her, her feelings for Bossun, and the almost-rivalry between her and Himeko over Bossun's affections that never quite drops over the edge into outright confession. It's fun to watch, and oh so sweet, too.

There's also a strong line in sibling rivalry between Bossun and Tsubaki, who despite now knowing that they're as closely related as you can be never quite manage to see eye-to-eye. It's a tension that's played far more for laughs than for drama, in keeping with the usual tone of the show in general - throughout these episodes, Tsubaki's on the receiving end of a number of jokes that make him har less the authority figure he'd like to be and far more a figure of fun. And I can't help but feel that's a change for the better.

Away from those small points, the series continues much as it has since day one, with its extended cast of minor characters all getting episodes to themselves and the storylines running the usual gamut from wacky to (occasionally) serious. Everything I've said about it before still holds true - the idea is, on the surface, weak and not something you should be able to hang a series off, but in its characters and implementation it does a damned good job in making use of what it has to produce something that's aware of, and happy to poke fun at, its own shortcomings; and in the process makes you like its characters and have fun along with them.

Memorable and rewatchable? Probably not, if I'm being brutally honest. Enjoyable one time around? Absolutely - if ever there were a poster child for the sort of series that's ideal for simulcast but absolutely not a runner for a physical release, SKET Dance is it. For as much as I was sorry to see its end, its place was quickly filled by other things. But it's certainly worth some of your time to check out.

Rating - ***