AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Winter 2012/13 - Dropped Shows Roundup PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Digital
Wednesday, 10 April 2013 00:00
The winter 2012/13 season is now done & dusted, and reviews for the shows that I completed will start appearing in the next few days. But there's a long list of shows that I won't be reviewing - and it's a longer list than usual this season. Read on for the details...

First up are the shows I never even started. gdgd Fairies and Minami-ke Tadaima both suffered from me not having seen their first seasons - I don't like dropping into shows mid-way, even if they're supposed to stand on your own. I do try that on occasion, but it never ends well (as we'll see later with Seitokai no Ichizon Lvl.2). Perhaps if I get enough free time at some point to marathon them they'll get their chance, but they won't be covered here. GJ-bu was a late starter, and by the time it appeared half-way through the season there was no room left for it in my schedule. Puchimas! Petit IdolM@ster also fits best in this category, as it's a very different beast from the other IdolM@ster shows - but its unusual release format (daily shorts) made it too much of a hassle to pick up.

There's no shame in being skipped for practical reasons, though, unlike the next category: shows I didn't watch as their previous seasons had failed to impress. And there are some shows in here that would count as fan favourites, too...

Chihayafuru S2 - Everyone's favourite karuta-based show. Mainly because it's the only karuta-based show. This sort of thing I really need to go fully 'out there', in the style of Saki or GIRLS und PANZER if they're to work for me. While the first season didn't play things entirely straight, it also didn't go completely overboard either, and I ended up passing on it after a few episodes for lack of interest. No desire to try and pick it up again at this stage.

DC III - say the original Da Capo anime waaaay back, and while it was competent enough it never did enough for me to stand out above the VN-adaptation crowd. DC III apparently changes the characters around a bit and should stand on its own, but I never got the urge to give it a try.

Hetalia Beautiful World - There are many people who think Hetalia is wonderful. I'm not one of them, and I say this after having sat through the original series, World Series and Paint It, White! - you can't say I didn't give it a fair chance. A textbook case of Not My Thing, to the point of being outright annoying, and life's too short to inflict that sort of show on yourself.

Haganai NEXT - I will admit that season one had some charm, and Rika in particular is the sort of character who's right up my alley. But the problem with Hagani is that a lot of it is based around the characters being horrible to each other, and that wears very thin, very quickly. The end result was no desire for me to watch this season - although if it's as Rika-focussed as I hear it is, I may have to find time to squeeze it in somewhere.

Next up are the "one-and-dones", which is exactly what it says on the tin: shows that turned me off enough that one outing was enough. You can read more about them by clicking through to their respective First Thoughts pieces.

Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka-okan"
Ishida & Asakura
THE UNLIMITED Hyobu Kyousuke
Amnesia
Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East

Also one-and-done was Straight Title Robot Anime, a flash-animated short that does for mecha what gdgd Fairies apparently does for fairies. I didn't make it through one episode, and it was only five minutes long. Make of that what you will.

Moving on to the shows that got given a chance to prove themselves...

Ai Mai Mi - dropped at ep2. Slotting in with Encouragement of Climb and Mangirl! as one of this season's shorts, it unfortunately had none of the charm of its stablemates. The school manga club fighting off alien invaders sounds like a killer idea, but in practice it took the make-everything-funny-by-shouting-all-the-time approach and was almost impossible to follow. Shame, really.

Senran Kagura - dropped at ep3. High-school ninja girls and fanservice? Sign me up! I'm normally all for fanservice and was hoping this would slot in as the Highschool DxD of the season, but after a few episodes it became clear that it just had no soul, no hook to give me any reason to care about the characters or what they were doing. Looks pretty, sure, but ultimately nothing else there worth bothering with.

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman - dropped at ep3. Lupin the 3rd Lite, on account of Monkey Punch-derived designs and some other similarities to Lupin. Looks okay, although not exactly high-budget, and there were some decent action scenes, but the storyline failed to hook me.

Cuticle Detective Inaba - dropped at ep4. Another show where shouting loudly = comedy, but on the other hand: a goat as a crimelord? What's not to like!? Inaba started off well, but but novelty wore off very quickly. Might have been better if they hadn't hauled Inaba's long-lost brother into the story in episode 3, too. Seemed like that plot-point was a gimme to stretch for the season. Go figure.

Seitokai no Ichizon Lvl.2 - dropped at ep4. By rights, this should've been right up my alley, but, again, it just wasn't clicking with me. A little too meta / self-referential for its own good, and frankly, needed more Minatsu. May have to check out the first season, though, which I hear is better.

Sasamisan@Ganbarani - dropped at ep4. SHAAAFFFFTTT! This is weird just for the sake of being weird, and not in a good way. Starts off cheerfully enough, too, but very quickly steers towards the grimdark. And it isn't even an Urobuchi show. Maeharasan@Ganbarani.

Oreshura - dropped at ep8. I wanted to like this, I really did - love the OP song, though Misuzu was awesome on her first appearance, but as the series went on it fell into the same trap as Haganai - a hateful bunch of characters being nasty to one another - and eventually wore out my tolerance. Surprised myself that I stuck with it for so long.

And finally. Two more shows that, while dropped, were dropped far enough in that I will write them up: Ixion Saga DT (dropped at ep17 when the idea began to bore me - you can only run on ED's missing balls for so long), and Pet Girl of Sakurasou (dropped at ep18 on account of characters I really couldn't care less about).

And that's the worst of the Winter - it gets better from her, honest. Reviews for the rest of the season's shows over the next few weeks.

blog comments powered by Disqus