AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Cardcaptor Sakura #18: Confessions PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 2
PoorBest 
R1 DVD Reviews
Tuesday, 30 December 2003 03:16
Cardcaptor Sakura - Volume 18Roll up, roll up, for the final disc of the Cardcaptor Sakura TV series. Took 3 years to get here, but we're done.

I'll save the 'end of an era' speeches until the review for the Sealed Card movie, mind you, but this is still something of a milestone. CCS is now officially the longest complete TV series in my collection.

Sakura, the Past and Clow Reed
Heh. Transformed Kerberos sealed into a giant snowball is a joy to behold. :) Sakura's been doubting her own abilities of late, so she decides to use the cards to travel back into the past to meet Clow Reed & seek his advice. Li & Tomoyo aren't happy at the idea, fearing for her safety, but it's something she feels she needs to do & won't be talked out of it.

Sakura Meets Clow Reed
Eriol finally reveals himself as the reincarnation of Clow Reed & begins his final testing of Sakura. With the entire city put to sleep by one of Eriol's spells, it's up to Sakura to work out how to use her cards to break it - but she risks losing Kero & Yue by doing so. Also breaks the records for most cards used in one episode...

Sakura and her True Feelings
With Sakura having finally changed all her Clow cards to Sakura cards, and with Shaoran having finally confessed his feelings to her, it's time to tie up all the loose ends for the series (leaving just enough for the movie to deal with, of course!). Sakura's finding it awkward to deal with Shaoran after his confession, Eriol is preparing to move back to England, and there's the return of someone we haven't seen in a while...

Final Thoughts
I'm going to be a heretic here and suggest that CCS was too long. While I've greatly enjoyed the story that's been told, I've had a feeling of deja vu over the last few discs & it's gotten harder for me to get into the mood to watch them. I suppose it's a trap that any magical girl show can fall into, but I'll always be a bit disappointed when it happens. I miss the 'gotta watch it now!' feeling I used to get when the earlier discs arrived, but which has been missing for most of this 3rd season.

With that criticism out of the way, I still have to say that CCS ranks as one of the best mahou shoujo shows available, and a series not to be missed if you're a fan of the genre. Be aware that it's also about as sugary as a show can be & it isn't without its faults, but in most ways you can't help but love it. Highly recommended series.

blog comments powered by Disqus