AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Vampire Knight Guilty #4 PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
R2 DVD Reviews
Tuesday, 30 August 2011 00:00
Vampire Knight GuiltyAfter two seasons & twenty-six episodes of vampires and angst, and Vampire Knight is finally coming to an end. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I was glad to see it go. My biggest question? How could something that started as well as this did, turn into something so downright awful, because that's more of a tragedy than the storyline itself...

11 - Two Souls
Kaien is confronted by the Hunter's Association president, who demands that he hand over Zero. Kaien refuses and attacks the Association president, forcing him to retreat. Meanwhile, Ichiru arrives and shoots Zero with the Bloody Rose - lying dying, he recalls the close relationship he had with Ichiru when they were children, and remembers Shizuka killing his parents. But it's not Zero's death that Ichiru's planning - he as plans for his own fate that Zero plays a key part in...

Level EDownfall

12 - World's End
While waiting for Yuki to come and see him, Rido makes himself a feast of the blood of his servants. Outside, while the Night Class students battle Rido's servants, Yagari fights the Level E vampires sent by the Hunter's Association - whose president seems keen on becoming a vampire himself. While Kaname goes to the meeting place of the Vampire Council to settle his issues with them, Yuki and several Night Class students leave to fight Rido - but while he's expecting their arrival, he wasn't expecting Yuki to be quite so well-prepared...

YagariSuddenly, swordplay

11 - Vampire Knight
Using the power gained from Ichiru, Zero injures Rido with Bloody Rose, forcing him to flee to the surrounding forest. There, he attempts to drink the blood of his servants to recover, but is confronted by Kaname - with Zero not far behind. It's a battle he can only lose. Afterwards, with the battle over, Yuki has some decisions to make now that she's aware of her past and her true identity - and Zero realises that they can never be together now...

DecisionsFarewell

Vampire Knight, I'll admit, had already lost me with its last volume. There was always a certain level of angst and DRAAAAMMMAAA!!! to it, if you know what I mean - teenage girls are its core audience, and we're led to believe they like that sort of thing (thanks, Twilight...), but while the first season balanced all that out with decent doses of action and comedy, Guilty ramped up the relationship issues and those, combined with the constant string of unlikely revelations (Yuki's a pureblood vampire, but didn't know? And she's Kaname's sibling? And also his bethrothed? REALLY, Vampire Knight!?) pushed me over the edge. All those revelations were also used as the excuse to turn Zero from someone with A Past but still a heart into a walking bag on emotional torment who was simply no fun to watch. This volumes takes that rather unsatisfactory situation, and then turns everything up to eleven as a way of giving the series a climax.

And all the while the story makes very little sense. There are more vampires sent into battle here by the Hunter's Guild than by Kaname or the Vampire Council. On the vampires' side, most of the deaths are self-inflicted (friendly nibbling, in place of friendly fire, I suppose). People are promising to kill former allies and then walking away, and who is on whose side becomes almost impossible to track. It's just a mess. Fair enough, some of that can maybe be accounted for by my distinct lack of interest - I'll admit that attention was straying for chunks of this disc - but most of it is account for by the series simply not being very good.

And it had started out so well, too. Back when the first season of the series started, I was enjoying its mix of action and comedy, even if it was heavy on the pretty boys. That was maintained for the first season, and then Guilty just completely went to pieces, and that's the most frustrating thing about this. It's not like, say, Cyberteam in Akihabara, which started out bad and just bumped along the bottom. Each new volume I watched of that, I knew exactly what I was going to get. Vampire Knight Guilty, on the other hand, became an exercise in seeing just how much further it could fall with each volume. And I can't recall another series that went to pieces so completely. A truly wasted opportunity.

Rating - **

blog comments powered by Disqus