AnimeVision

a whole world of anime

Please Teacher! #3: The Honeymoon's Over PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
R4 DVD Reviews
Sunday, 25 January 2004 00:00
Please Teacher! - Volume 3Take a bunch of hormone charged teenagers, 1 teacher, and plenty of excuses for people to behave selfishly, and you have volume 3 of Please Teacher!. Happily, it's a lot better than that sentence may have you believe...

8 - Long Night
Hang on, I thought we did the 'new school term' thing last episode... *confused* Anyway, back to school for Mizuho & Kei. Ichigo's curious about how Herikawa & Kei have got along over the summer (mainly, did she strike lucky?), & also digging for gossip on Hyouske & Misumi. After some prompting, Herikawa decides to be even more direct that she has been lately & calls Kei out for a late-night confession. Matagu, meanwhile, is feeling left out by all these love-love couples & decides to confess to his own #1 girl - Mizuho! Or maybe some late-night studying will be close enough...

9 - Let's End it Now
It seems Ichigo's not prepared to give up on making a couple out of Kei & Herikawa just yet, although Herikawa's not overly impressed at getting the Spanish Inquisition treatment from her. For reasons best left for her to explain herself, she confronts Kei with a few personal secrets and home truths in an effort to get him to change his mind about rejecting Herikawa. In an effort to keep everyone happy (excluding himself & Mizuho, I guess), he agrees. Act of kindness or act of stupidity? You decide...

10 - But...
Following through on his promise to Ichigo last episode, Kei & Herikawa are now something of an item - but with Kei still unable to think of much else other than his feelings for Mizuho & how much he loves her, it's a relationship that's doomed from the start - and when Herikawa figures out what's going on, Kei has some explaining to do...

I still can't help but feel sorry for Herikawa - how can you not after she puts her feelings on the line & gets them tossed back at her? Kei-kun no baka, I say. Her method of easing the pain leaves a lot to be desired, mind you. This disc's "most selfish" award goes to Ichigo for her insistence on making others do what she wants for what is essentially her own benefit. In some ways you can understand why Kei & Ichigo have behaved the way they did, but it doesn't show either character in a particularly sympathetic light.

In amongst all the schoolkids-behaving-selfishly, though, there's some real development of the characters - they're growing up & learning responsibility through the mistakes they're making, and that's a good thing. There's also a distinct lack of last volume's annoying brat (Maho, in case you forgot), which is also a good thing, so overall I was pleased with this disc & where it takes events. Good stuff. Now if they can just cut down on all the "Sensei! SENSEI!" "Kei! KEI!", we'd be flying...

blog comments powered by Disqus